Location – 816 46th Street, Edson, AB (Doug White Park)
“A place to grow and connect with each other and the earth.”
Due to some ongoing challenges with theft and vandalism at the community garden and alongside the increased challenges of Covid-19 it was decided this year we will not be renting plots at the community garden. Instead we are choosing to take this year to do much needed maintenance work and looking to rebuild the soil quality and weed control. Thank you for your interest and please check back in 2022 to inquire about a plot then.
In response to growing demand for local food solidarity, the Edson Community Garden was opened in 2015. The Garden includes raised beds, compost heaps, a rainwater collection system, and an interpretive centre geared towards the engagement of youth in local permaculture. The mission of the Edson Community Garden is to:
- Provide residents with access to gardens to grow their own food
- Encourage community building and interaction between residents; for example matching seniors or residents who had gardens but are no longer able to care for them with members of the community who are eager to try out their green thumbs.
- Increase awareness of local food production; including education for youth through school garden plots combined with class room instruction
- Serve as a gathering point for workshops on composting, permaculture, canning and food workshops, rainwater collection etc., and ongoing exchanges of seeds and plants as well as local gardening knowledge
- Provide an opportunity for a “plant a row, grow a row” program for our local food bank.
- Above all, create a beautiful space where residents can go to ENJOY our living earth
Want to check out the garden online? Visit our Community Garden photo gallery!